Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stand Up Straight!



To make myself feel shorter, I used to slouch. My Mom would tell me not to, but as soon as she was out of the room, I'd be slouching. What a horrible habit I formed. This stopped as soon as I learned to embrace my height, but I still notice that I do it occasionally, usually when I'm tired, or sitting for a long time at my desk.

One thing I've found that really helps is low impact Yoga... usually Hatha yoga. The long stretches, the forced back work and really feeling what it is like to have my back straight all help. In fact, I think I'm a whole half inch or inch taller since starting to practice yoga a few years ago.

If you're looking to make your posture better, I highly recommend checking out the available Yoga classes in your city. Not only will you gain better posture, but the other side effects are fantastic as well. Things like not wanting to scream at every driver on the road next to you in rush hour traffic. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I have to laugh! My father was constantly saying, Stand up straight! You are going to have round shoulders."
    I never realized I was slouching, but I have always hated being tall and wished I was shorter, so I probably did it subconsciously. I am 5'10".
    I did not play BB or VB and was always asked if I played BB.
    My mom was 5'7". My Dad 6'4".
    My feet are size 9.
    I do ok with most tall sizes in pants. I am long waisted, so when it comes to swim suits I have a terrible time, even with the long ones.

    ReplyDelete