Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Height and Weight

Did you know that a healthy weight for a 6'0" female is between 145 and 176? Did you know that the average height and weight of a model is 5'11"/110 lbs. That is quite a discrepancy, and absolutely unattainable if you are living a healthy life and getting all of the nutrients that you need. It scares me to see how thin some of the models out there are. They look sick... at least to me.

As a tall girl, I was always told that I should try modeling. I heard this a lot from some friends parents who wished their girls could get into modeling but they were too short. I never wanted to even try and go that route. It just never seemed appealing. Now, as an adult, I'm so happy I never went that route. It is not only a hard industry, but one that requires a tall girl to be unhealthy at the time that her physical body is changing and growing the most.

I'm thankful for my height, and thankful that I never used it to get into that industry. I must say that I'm happy to see some agencies and brands revolting against that ultra skinny (i.e. unhealthy) look and are starting to use women who look like women. This is a great change, and I do hope I see it become the norm instead of the obvious exception.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that a person should not diet to change her body. At the same time there is a big variation.

    I happen to be extremely thin. I'm 25 and have always been thin. My parents are extremely thin as is my brother. I work on keeping up my weight. I do get a fair amount of exercise with an hour of running six days a week and the fact that I live in Copenhagen and use a bike to go everywhere. I try to eat at least 3000 calories a day, but going much past that just gets me sick.

    Anyway I'm just a bit under 6'3 (190 cm) and always between 53 to 55 kg ( 117 to 121 pounds) since I was 17.

    Most guys find my body unattractive (you can be too thin and too tall:-), but it is what I have and I try to make it as good as I can with exercise.

    I think exercise is extremely important for any woman no matter what her weight if you want to look and feel your best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped too soon..

    Women should learn what their right weight is from their doctor. Mine, of course, wants me heavier, but my genes won't cooperate. That is rare, but it happens. There are also extremely heavy people who can't do much about their weight.

    While anorexia and other conditions are horrible, I also think that diet induced obesity is a real danger and wonder if it is larger as a percentage of the population. When I visit the US I am amazed at how many people - even teenagers - are obese. It is very different than what you see in Europe. This is a very interesting map ... you have to wonder what the causes are:

    http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/maps/

    Finding normal should be everyone's goal and it is my belief that involves exercise and eating as healthy as you can.

    ReplyDelete