Sunday, June 7, 2009

How tall *are* you?

Well, thanks for asking... I'm 6'0". While I don't really mind this question... I still think it is a bit rude to ask, unless you're having a discussion and things turn to height. To just walk up to someone and say... 'How tall *are* you?' really is rude. Don't do it. I don't walk up to you and ask, 'How short *are* you?'

You know what else, don't ask me if I've played basketball, volleyball or any other 'tall' sport. You know why... because it's none of your business. I don't know you, and the first question you ask of someone you don't know, doesn't really need to be about a physical attribute. Ask me what I do, what my name is, how my day is going. I don't ask you if you are a jockey, or are a gymnast, do I?

Oh, also... I don't really need you to point out that really tall. Yep... I know that too. Thanks.

Okay, just a mini rant today. Thought I'd share.

3 comments:

  1. As a 5'10" mommy who is raising a *very* tall daughter, I feel your pain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope that even with the pain, you both love being tall. I know I do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 6'3 and get used to it, although it isn't as bad where I live in Denmark. I think the reason is tall women are so novel people don't know how to react. I think they are mostly being friendly and I take it as a complement. I try not to be negative about it, but i could be very snippy when I was in my early 20s (I'm 25 now).

    My really tall friend is 6'7 and she has a very good attitude. She has very pleasant little things to say and figures it is nature's way of helping her with shyness. She tries to get conversations going some times. My favorite is when someone looks up at her and says "omg you're tall!" She will get a surprised and incredulous expression, look down at her feet and then back to their eyes. As she gets close to their eyes, she gets a surprised expression like she has figured something out. Then she says "I know what it is! I'm really not tall, it's just these shoes.." (she almost always is in flip flops or sneakers)

    There are times when she uses her height to deal with pests (she figures most people aren't pests if they are being friendly). A great one is when she was sitting down in a park and was approached by two young guys who started into a pleasant conversation. Since she was sitting, they had no idea how tall she was. About 5 minutes in they started asking her if she knew Jesus and things like that. This crosses a line, so she stood up towering over both of them (she said they were both pretty short and came up to her shoulder). Then she said "I used to believe that stuff when I was your size, but I've grown past that" and walked off.

    But normally she is very pleasant:-)

    ReplyDelete